Thursday, May 15, 2008

Happy Anniversary!


Happy Anniversary to my adorable husband! Isn't he just the cutest? Love you Bunny! We've been together seven blissful years. We got married in Rhode Island and try to go back as often as possible, so this year's vacation was back to Newport, RI.


We've spent many vacations visiting Newport, but we finally took the time to tour several of the famous Newport Mansions. Above is The Elms. If you ever get the chance, take the the Elms' "Behind the Scene's Tour". The tickets for this one are extra, but you get to see all of the areas that the other houses don't show you: the coal room, wine cellar, servant's quarters, kitchens, etc. It's really fascinating to see the inner workings of such an enormous historic home.

The other mansions we toured were: The Breakers, Rosecliffe, and Chateau-sur-Mer. You can find out more about the historic Newport Mansions at the Newport Preservation Society.




We always do at least one meal at the Red Parrot Restaurant. It's causal, but the food is always excellent. Here's a picture of my lobster pizza. Yes, it was ALL mine!! Accompanied by an Midori Sour, and I was a happy girl! OK, I didn't eat it all in our setting, but I claimed the entire thing as my own. I dream about this pizza between our visits to Newport.

Here is a rare picture of me on Scarborough State Beach in Narragansett, RI. It was a breezy 60 degrees, but I was walking on the beach barefoot, dammit!

On to my favorite portion of the program...dessert!
Welcome to one of my favorite spots on earth...the Captain Jack's dessert counter in Wakefield, RI. I love this seafood restaurant so much that I had my rehearsal dinner here, and had to get special permission to have a big party from Captain Jack himself (yes, his name really is Jack, but I'm not sure he's really a captain). What I do know is that the good Captain and his crew make amazing clam chowder (with thin broth, the way it should be), to-die-for clam cakes (doughy fritter-like balls with huge chunks of clams--really, they're good), and killer desserts. As you can see, they are picture perfect. And they taste even better.
This is my favorite of all of the magic Captain's creations--Caramel Apple Bash. These are just the individual portions, the full-sized versions are easily 9 inches tall. It's a deep dish apple pie, very rich, with chunks of homemade blondies piled on top, and drizzled with thick caramel. Honestly, words can't describe how orgasmic the experience is. I wish you all a trip to Captain Jack's, really it's more of a pilgrimage.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Happy Anniversary! I just wanted to say hi, I'm swapping to you for the Swap-bot bakery items with a twist and I just had to say - your blog and Etsy shop are adorable! I'm so in love with your felted cupcakes. So...hi! -Amanda at http://amandacowell.typepad.com