Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Pre-Midlife Crisis

I’ve been going through my pre-midlife crisis for about a year now. I emphasize “pre” midlife because I’m only 37, so clearly this can’t be my actual mid-life crisis. Although, god help me, I don’t want to go through this life re-org again. Anyway, about a year ago a ditched a financially successful, high level corporate career for the artistic life. Yep, I just came home one day and told my dear husband that I was quitting my job. No replacement job, no plan, I just hated it and I was out. And the sweet man that he is said the only appropriate thing at the time, “yes, dear.”

I admit it, I was a little crazed. I just knew I didn’t want to stare at a computer screen another day or negotiate another contract. I have a BFA; I’ve been an artist since I was ten years old. This 9-5, pinstriped suit and high heeled gig was clearly NOT the life I was meant to have. I saw people on TV all the time who had found their passion, were living their dream, and enjoying their lives. I wanted to be one of those people!
So, I quit my job last Spring. The problem was, I knew the life I didn’t want, but I didn’t know what I DID want.

I have made significant steps since then. I’ve started a little business, I’ve sold my art on eBay, I’ve opened my Etsy store, started my website, and finally (after a few dry runs) found my artistic niche that really makes me happy. Felted faux food! That explaination is for another post.

And, while I really didn’t want to initially, I did get another job. I'm a Virgo, so I have this odd thing about paying bills. But this job is different. I am now the Operations Director at the Brookfield Craft Center. We’re a non-profit school/gift shop/gallery promoting and educating adults about traditional fine handcrafts. I found the best of both worlds. I’m able to utilize my über organized administrative skills, be around artists and beautiful artwork all day, and even teach classes. I think my “work” life is pretty settled now, so I really need to focus on that art business now.

No comments: